Memo: To Saseenos families
From: Mrs. McArthur
- Thank you for your generous donations for the Sooke Food Bank. We will continue to accept donations right up till the last day of school before Winter Break (Dec. 22)
- Art cards will be here next week; Kerry will let you know when they arrive
- Scholastic Book Fair will be here for Dec.14, 15, 18 & 19; please let Kerry know if you’re able to help; book fair will be open to parents first thing in the morning and to students at lunch time and after school; if you need any gift items put aside, please see Kerry! We take cash, cheques (made to SD #62) and credit cards
- Library will be closed for book exchange during these days
- I will be making pancake breakfast for every division starting next week …
Here’s what’s happening next week:
- Monday, Dec. 11 – Pancake breakfast for Mrs. Talman’s & Mrs. Haddad’s classes
- PAC Garden Committee meeting at noon; all interested parents are welcome to attend
- Tuesday, Dec. 12 – Divisions 3, 4 & 5 off to BC Forest Discovery Centre at Duncan
- Pancake breakfast in Ms. Wood’s & Ms. Van der Hoeven’s classes
- Wednesday, Dec. 13 – Pancake breakfast in Mrs. George’s class
- Thursday, Dec. 14 – Pancake breakfast in Ms. Ferguson’s class
- Friday, Dec. 15 – Pancake breakfast in Ms. Bell’s class
- Term 1 report cards will be sent home
- PAC Pizza lunch
Have a great weekend!
Kindergarten and new student registration will be taking place between
January 29th – February 2nd.
Nature Kindergarten – 2018-2019
Held at Sangster and Saseenos Elementary Schools, the Nature Kindergarten program in SD62 was one of the first of its kind in Canada when it was first piloted in September 2012. Its popularity and success have turned the program into a yearly option for parents.
Students spend a half-day outside every morning, rain or shine, in natural settings. Children then return to school for their lunch and remain in the school during the rest of the afternoon for indoor learning.
Parents must attend one of the information sessions listed prior to registering their child into Nature Kindergarten:
Saseenos Parent Information Sessions:
- Thursday, January 18th, 6:30 P.M. at Saseenos Elementary School
- Saturday, January 20th, 10:00 A.M. at Saseenos Elementary School
Parents must attend one of these two information sessions in order to register their child for the Nature Kindergarten program at Saseenos.
Sangster Parent Information Sessions:
- Thursday, January 25th, 6:30 P.M. at Sangster Elementary School
- Saturday, January 27th, 10:00 A.M. at Sangster Elementary School
Parents must attend one of these two information sessions in order to register their child for the Nature Kindergarten program at Sangster.
Registration for Nature Kindergarten opens on Monday, January 29th beginning at 8 a.m.
Parents can register online or in-person at their neighbourhood school. If registering online, please select Nature Kindergarten as your preference. Parents who wish to register in person must do so at their catchment school and submit a request for Nature Kindergarten.
As this program typically fills up within the first day of registration, parents are encouraged to register for Nature Kindergarten as close as possible to the opening time of registration.
Thanks to our fabulous PAC for organizing the Halloween Dance last night. Thank you to all the parents who volunteered their time and helped make the event a success – Hy’ch ka!
- Tennis: Earlier this week I sent home a tennis information form with students in grades 1-5. Please send the completed form back to school ASAP. This information is vital for the continuation of the tennis program at our school. We’re grateful to KATS for sponsoring tennis for the third year in a row. I’m attaching the form with this memo just in case you missed the paper copy. You could send it back to me as an attachment if you wish.
- Please watch out for information on our Remembrance Day Assembly next week; the assembly will take place on Friday, November 10 at 1:00 p.m. to accommodate 3 divisions who are off on a field trip to the Salmon Interpretive Centre in the morning
Here’s what’s happening next week:
Tuesday, October 31 – Costume parade & sock hop at 2:00 p.m.
- Students are welcome to wear costumes for the day. Please remember no weapons, masks or overly gory costumes – thanks for your help!
Wednesday, November 1 – swimming for Divisions 1 & 2 in the afternoon
- Reading Strategies for Parents! If you have a child in Kindergarten, grade 1 or 2 and are keen on learning some new strategies to help your child with reading & math, these workshops are for you!! Mrs. MacDonald, Ms. Walling and I will be offering 45 minute workshops on the basics of helping your child with reading and math. Our first session is on reading on Wednesday, November 1st in the library starting at 2:00 p.m. We hope to see many of you!!
Friday, November 3 – Tennis
Wed. November 8 – Photo retakes
Mon. November 13 – Remembrance Day
Please find the Saseenos Elementary School on-line parent teacher interview booking system at saseenos.schoolappointments.com. You will be able to create an account, enter your children and then schedule interview times for you to meet with their teachers for the upcoming Parent Teacher interviews taking place Thursday, October 19th.
Appointment scheduling will start on October 5th at 6:00 am and close on October 18th at 11:00 pm. You will find the system very easy to use and it will take only a few minutes to set up your account, your children and your appointments. For more instructions please click on the instructions below:
Please note: If you are unable to meet with your child’s teacher on Thursday, October 19th please feel free to contact them to arrange for an alternate time.
And please contact our office if you have any questions!
Saseenos PAC Fall Fair/ Meet the Teacher Night
Thursday, Sept. 28th, 2017
This year we are combining ‘Meet the Teacher Night’ with our PAC Fall Fair.
The PAC Fall Fair will take place between 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Saseenos staff will be here to meet and greet with families between 6:00pm – 7:00pm
This is a great opportunity to meet your child’s teacher and visit his or her classroom.
WELCOME BACK PAC……WHATS HAPPENING!!!!
The first fundraiser of the year will be Save-Around-Coupon books.
1 book per family will be going home
This great book is filled with hundreds of 50% off and 2-for-1 discounts on the things you do everyday.
The cost of these books are $25.00.
Sell 5 books and receive the 6th book FREE!
Join us on September 28th between 5:30-7:30pm
For the Saseenos Fall Fair.
Admission is $5 per child
Concession available for purchase.
More information to follow.
It’s time for school!
Tuesday, Sept. 5th
New Saseenos Students in Grades 1-5
Welcome! Please bring your family to the office to meet with Mrs. McArthur. New students will spend the day in classrooms with grade level peers.
- New classroom placements will not be assigned until the end of the week for all Sooke School District students. Please return to last year’s classroom.
- Full days for Kindergarten & Nature K students begin Wednesday, Sept. 13th
Kindergarten students attend half day classes on Monday, Sept. 11th & Tuesday, Sept 12th. (Please see your child’s mail out or check the office for your child’s am/pm schedule)
- Tuesday, Sept. 5th 8:45 – 11:45
- Wednesday, Sept. 6th 8:45 – 2:51
- Last year’s Kindergarten class will meet in last year’s Kindergarten class. Mrs. Talman will be your teacher for the next few days.
- Students will spend this week with last year’s classmates. Please return to last year’s classroom on Tuesday, Sept. 5th.
Have a great week at school!
School Supply Lists: Please click on the link below
District Calendar: Please click on the link below
Saseenos staff invites you
Parent Appreciation Coffee/Tea
Friday, June 9th
2017/18 School Bus Registration
Sign into your account
Click on Items tab and choose the 2017/2018 School Bus Registration Form
The registration window will be open from May 4 – June 2, 2017 at 9:00 pm.
Students must be registered during this period to ensure a seat on the school bus.
Bus routes for the 2017-18 school year will be established based on online bus registrations received on or before Friday, June 2, 2017. Registration will remain open, however all registrations received after June 2, 2017 at 9:00 pm PST, will be placed on a wait list until it is determined that there is a seat available on their designated bus.
Questions about current routes? Find your bus route now!
Bus Fee Update
Due to anticipated government funding, the SD62 Board of Education has decided that bus fees for all SD62 school bus riders will not be charged for the 2017/2018 school year.
Since bussing is “free” can my child just take the bus? No. ALL riders must be registered for the school bus in the SD62 School Cash Online program.
Any student not on a driver list or without a pass may not be let on the bus.